Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Where Did You Come From?


I came from a land far far away... blah blah blah... actually we came from Quake 3 Ufreeze. This simple but fun game of freeze tag that was totally addictive. For those that aren't familiar, I'll give a brief explaination.

Quake is a first person shooter game and you would be either be on the blue or red team. You would shoot your enemy with either a railgun, rocket launcher etc., but instead of ending their life they would be frozen. If you froze the entire enemy team, you got a point, but if one of their team members stood by them for 3 seconds they were "thawed" and back in the game. Needless to say there was alot of camping frozen opponents to keep their team members from thawing them.

It was a very fast paced game and we used grappling hooks (a beam of light that would shoot out, attach to a wall or ceiling and then rapidly pull you to it. You flew though 3D space like Spiderman). Eventually many members moved on to Warcraft and other games. One of the things my husband liked most about the game was that it was entirely skill based. There were no levels, no classes, no better armor or weapons. If you won, it was because you had more talent or a superior strategy.
Ufreeze was my start and damn, I could mess you up with that railgun:)
Where did you come from?

5 comments:

  1. I's fairly old school. Dungeons and Dragons, Second Edition, with thems what now be known as Mog and Ix, the Death Knugget twins. Along the way was Ogre, Cars Wars, Star Fleet Battles, Paranoia, Empire! Wargame of the Century, SimCity, Wolfenstein 3D, Civilization (I, II, III), Master of Orion, Master of Magic, Doom, Panzer General, Them Sims, Lord of the Fries, Chez Geek, and Munchkin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FPS games were my bread and butter for quite a while, starting with the first Doom. Quake III was my favorite, followed by Counter Strike.

    In case you didn't know, Quake III is now available for free as a browser download and has been redubbed Quake Live (www.quakelive.com). If you see LlamaWerkz in game, be easy on me. It's been a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I used to have dreams about Wolfenstein. The maze maps made me crazy and those damn dogs would frighten the crap outta me hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I come from a world that most gamers don't enjoy a.k.a. R.L. real life. I had never trully gamed before being sucked in and consumed by W.O.W. I have now been playing since about 3 weeks from when the game started and truly enjoy the time I spend playing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the above post from anonymous is from Miami.

    ReplyDelete