Friday, July 10, 2009

Meters - Use Them, Don't Abuse Them


Upon reading gnomeaggedon and his discussion of the Seven Deadly Sins of WoW, I mentioned that I felt meter spamming was a top sin in my book.
You would never see the lowest damage raid member linking the meter in the raid. It is generally first or second in DPS that puts it out there. Not everyone is equal with their abilities in the game and no one wants to be embarrassed. Link the meter in PM if someone is asking for it. Hell, just give him/her the link to get the addon themselves. For me the meter is just a personal check of where I am and not a boasting tool. Don't use it to embarrass others but as a means to get your own game in check.

If it's a guildie you see that is struggling with DPS, private message with a suggestion of a rotation or a website with some helpful tips. Be tactful but helpful.

One of the most popular damage meters is Recount from Curse.com

2 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how much I agree with this. We have a couple of guildies who post meters during runs. It's distracting and pointless.

    Recently, we had one guy post a meter in raid chat while we were engaging Sarth...mid friggin fight.

    People need to pay less attention to numbers and more attention to whether or not the boss dies, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get worried if I'm *not* at the bottom of the meter. Being the tank, that's where I kind of expect to be. (Unless it's a threat meter) :D

    ReplyDelete